One of my favorite writing assignments when I was a traditional classroom teacher was “This I Believe” Essays. No matter the writing ability of my students, if they tried they would write a poignant and beautiful piece. It was a great way to empower them and help them love writing. It was also low pressure because it didn’t require a ton of research, it was acceptable to use lists or bullet points rather than the usual 5 paragraph structure, and it was something they wanted to write about.
So, as part of my countdown to my thirtieth birthday, here is my This I Believe Essay: 30 Things I believe.
As a wife, I believe
1) Miscommunication is the true root of all evil.
2) Insufficient sleep leads to many misunderstandings
3) Being loving is more important than being right. (This was hard for me to learn.
4) Making time to spend together is important.
5) If your spouse isn’t your best friend, you need to reevaluate your priorities.
As a mom, I believe
6) Every child is a blessing, no matter the circumstances.
7) Coffee should be its own food group.
8) There should be special parking for toddler moms. Especially twin toddler moms.
9)There are no better sounds in the world than: hearing little feet patter across the floor while I’m working my office, my babies giggling while playing together, my babies snoring in the back seat on road trips, the sweet way my boys say “hi” when they see me in the morning.
10) Being a mom is the most wonderful, most difficult, and most important job I’ve ever had. I have never felt the weight of responsibility more than I do now. And I love it.
FREEBIE ALERT!!!! Click here to download my FREE 28 Day Follow Your Dreams Inspiration Journal and join my newsletter mailing list.
As a humanitarian I believe
11) Human suffering should be addressed wherever it is found. It is unacceptable to put children in cages.
12) Building a wall is the stupidest thing ever.
13) Black lives matter
14) I am in charge of my body. No one else. I am responsible for the consequences–both good and bad–of my choices. No one else.
15) Education is important. We should fund it and pay teachers what they deserve.
As a person managing an anxiety disorder, I believe
16) Hope is stronger than fear.
17) Chocolate can make you feel better, even if only temporarily.
18) Choosing to be positive, to practice gratitude, or to work out CAN fix a bad attitude but it CANNOT cure depression or anxiety or any other mental illness. Telling someone who has a mental illness they need to choose not to be sick is just as effective and stupid as telling someone with cancer they need to choose not to be sick.
19) Disconnecting for some peace and quiet is good for the soul.
20) Self care is not selfish.
As a recovering workaholic, I believe
21) Indifference is just as important as passion.
22) You should never stress yourself out for a job that, should you die, would replace you within a week.
23) Every employee is replaceable–and so is every job.
24) It is fun to be the leader, but sometimes the best way to be a good leader is to be a good follower.
25) Having a job is fun. Working is fun. But it’s not the only fun you can–or should–have. Let everything go sometimes and do something that makes you happy. It is okay to take a mental health day sometimes.
As a dog mom, I believe
26) Dogs are the best example of love I have ever seen. No matter what, they love unconditionally.
27) Dogs are the best judge of character. If your dog tells you someone is bad, don’t question it. If dogs seem to think you are bad, evaluate yourself. You probably need to make a change.
28) If you’re having a bad day or are stressed out, hug a dog. You’ll feel better.
29) If you need to cry, hug a dog. He will let you cry into his fur and then he will lick away your tears and he will not stop until you smile again.
30) Humans really aren’t good enough for dogs. We don’t deserve them. If you need proof that there is a loving creator out there, adopt a dog. Someone had to love us an awful lot to bless us with them despite our faults.
What do you believe? Tell me in the comments!
Sign up for my newsletter for exclusive info and previews! Never miss a post! PLUS you can download my Date Night Scavenger Hunt for FREE! CLICK HERE!!!!