Disclosure: My posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you will not pay a penny more but I will get a small commission, which helps keep the lights on.
6 months from today is my birthday.
I will be 30.
If you are wondering how I feel about turning 30, so am I. Sometimes I don’t care, it’s just another age. And sometimes I freak out. My 20s, especially the second half, have been kind of amazing. Overall, I have loved being a 20-something. I feel like when I turn 30, that means I am a real adult. Guys, adulting is not my strong suit. I’m not very good at it.
When you’re a kid everyone says “Don’t grow up. It’s a trap. Being a kid is awesome and being an adult sucks.” Um…no. You know what sucks?
- Middle school
- High school
- Teenage angst
- Trying to fit in as a teen
- Trying to figure out who you are as a teen
- Being a teenager in general
- Figuring out what to do when you’re told “you’re not old enough” and “you’re too old” all at the same time.
Obviously, I didn’t love my teen years. Except, at the time, I didn’t think it was too bad. Once I experienced life as a 20-something I realized being a teen wasn’t all that great.
After I turned 23 or so, I figured myself out. I decided I am okay with who I am and relaxed and enjoyed life. Now I’m six months away from turning 30. What if this is the part of adulting everyone hates? What if it’s all down here from here?
But also, what if it’s not? What if life is like wine and gets better with age?
See what I mean? I have no idea how I feel about turning 30. Maybe in six months I will.
To countdown the last six months to thirty, I will be posting 7 lists of 30 things. The first list is 30 things that make me happy.
Never miss a post! Join my mailing list and receive my Date Night Scavenger Hunt printable for free! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!
Rules For The List
My friend Amanda says I have a system for everything. I like parameters, so I have to make lists with goals and rewards for completing those goals.
When I started brainstorming a list of things that made me happy, the obvious came to mind first: my wife, my kids, my family, my friends, my dogs (who are also my kids, but some people don’t understand so I list them separately).
So my rule for creating this list is that I cannot list any of the “obvious” answers. I have to choose things that make me happy outside of easy the answers.
30 Things That Make Me Happy
- Making people laugh
- Giving gifts that are “just right”
- Surprises–I used to absolutely hate surprises. Nothing set my anxiety on edge more quickly than a surprise. Steph loves to surprise me and I’ve learned to genuinely enjoy it.
- Meeting new dogs
- Music. Both making music and listening. I especially love singing to my babies.
- Harry Potter. Repeat after me. The books are better than the movies. The books are better than the movies. One more time, the books are WAY better than the movies.
- The Royal Family–I love them so much. The Queen is so precious and has a fascinating past and Princess Kate and Princess Meghan are just lovely. I was glued to the television for both royal weddings–and have even re-watched both of them on YouTube. I love that they are always in the public eye and yet still remain so classy. That doesn’t happen in America very often. Confession: I have these Princess Kate paper dolls. I’ve never cut them out, but I enjoy looking at them. I’m waiting for the Princess Meghan ones.
- Chocolate milk
- A comfy sweatshirt or cozy sweater
- Baby giggles–especially Atticus and Gryffin’s giggles
- Snuggling–my babies, my doggos, my wife. Physical touch is my love language.
- Essential Oils
- Baking–I am the cookie master.
- Lip balm. Blistex is my favorite brand, especially the Enhancement Series, but seriously any Blistex is perfect. I also like ChapStick Total Hydration and EOS. I am the person who keeps a tube of lip balm everywhere: my car, my purse, my makeup bag, the diaper bag, my wife’s car, my wife’s purse, my nightstand, my desk, the bathroom counter, the kitchen counter, my pocket, my parents’ house (I bet they don’t even realize it).
- A good cup of coffee
- The anticipation of the last day of school before a break. I thought when I quit teaching, I would lose this one, but I was wrong. Today is the last day of school and all of next week is fall break. I. Am. So. Excited. I can’t wait to have Steph home with us all week. I have planned all the things for us to do as a family!
- Turkey sandwiches–turkey, miracle whip or mashed avocado, tomato, onion, salt & pepper–delicious!
- Watching snow fall
- Being creative–having a creative outlet always lifts my spirits. I enjoy scrapbooking/crafting, painting, and creative writing.
- A new notebook
- Good ink pens–especially if they come in several colors like these and these.
- Equality–but the fact that we, as a nation, still get this so wrong, does not make me happy.
- Beauty and the Beast- I love the live action film starring Emma Watson more than I could possibly even tell you.
- Reading a book that is so good I feel like the characters are real people and begin referring to them as my friends. Yes, I do tend to get so involved in a story that the line between reality and fiction becomes blurred. I’m not sorry.
- Hot chocolate
- Giving random compliments. If you have never done this, you need to. It is so much fun to watch someone’s face brighten! A couple of weeks ago I complimented the cashier at the gas station on her eyeliner–she had some amazing wings–and her whole entire demeanor changed. She stood up straighter, her shoulders released tension, she genuinely smiled (versus the customer service smile). The way she greeted the next customer in line was completely different because of an action that literally took about 3 seconds of my life. “Thank you. You’re eyeliner is awesome, by the way!”
- Being a student. Learning is my fav!!!
- Carbs. Why does something that makes me so happy have to be so bad for me?
- Good mascara and red lip gloss or lipstick–my current favorite mascara is Covergirl’s Katy Kat Eye Mascara in black and my current favorite red lip is ChapStick Total Hydration Moisture+Tint in merlot.
This was a very therapeutic list to write. Remembering all the things that make me happy definitely put me in a good mood. I challenge you to make your own list of things that make you happy!
Get my 28 Day Follow Your Dreams Inspiration Journal! CLICK HERE FOR THE FREE DOWNLOAD!